Tropical storms and hurricanes can cause storm surge and coastal or river flooding as well as wind damage to our region.
You can get ready now.
- Remove debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Clear debris from in front of catch basins. Never lift a catch basin lid or insert anything into a catch basin.
- To reduce the risk of street flooding, do not park in front of or on a catch basin.
- Prune trees and shrubs.
- Bring outdoor furniture and decorations inside.
- Secure or bring garbage bins inside.
- Don’t walk or drive through flood waters.
- If water rises around your car, abandon the car immediately.
- Report major flooding to 9-1-1.
- Gather emergency supplies.
- Sign up for the special needs registry if you need power for medical equipment.
- Prepare for potential power outages: turn your fridge to its lowest temperature, charge electronic devices, and preserve cell phone battery life, and prepare flashlights.
- Bring pets inside.
Resources for hurricane preparedness/updates:
Department of Homeland Security Disaster Guide
State of Louisiana Emergency Preparedness Guide
American Red Cross-download mobile phone app
National Weather Service Radar Loop for our area
For the latest information specific to your parish below are the Parish Government Links:
St. Bernard Parish
St, Tammany Parish
Tune into our partner, WWLTV, for live updates.