Resolve to Help Others in 2021
A full week of 2021 is in the rearview - how are your resolutions going?
From spending less to exercising more, or finally organizing that junk drawer, millions of people vowed to improve their lives this new year. The resolution that might be the most powerful (for you and others!) is to help your community.
This list offers five ways you can start making a difference today.
- Volunteer: There’s a great sense of accomplishment that comes with seeing the results of a morning spent painting a playground, weeding a community garden, or packing food boxes. Browse upcoming volunteer opportunities – including virtual options - with local community organizations at the United Way HandsOn Entergy Volunteer Center’s website. Volunteering doesn’t have to be a big commitment! Start by volunteering once a month and see what you enjoy the most.
- Join a Community-Minded Group: One of the best ways to stick to a resolution is surrounding yourself with others who share your goal. To improve your community, consider joining a local volunteer or fundraising group that focuses on a cause you care about. Check out United Way of Southeast Louisiana’s groups for women, retirees, and young professionals who are helping end poverty and create more equitable communities. They host volunteer, networking, and other engagement opportunities throughout the year.
- Learn About Issues in Your Community: It’s easy to devote 100% of our time to our family, friends, work, and school. But there are a lot of big, important issues facing our community that need attention, too. Did you know that 52% of households in Southeast Louisiana couldn’t afford the basics in 2018? Browse the 2020 United Way ALICE Report for Louisiana for a summary of the challenges and dive deeper into the specific issues that spark your interest.
- Schedule Random Acts of Kindness: Greek storyteller Aesop said it best, “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” While scheduling random acts of kindness may sound counterintuitive, it’s a proven way to build a habit. Add a monthly reminder on your calendar to spread goodwill. One idea is to stock your car with care kits for people experiencing homelessness (socks, snacks, water bottles, and toothbrushes/toothpaste are perfect fillers).
- Start a Monthly Donation: Could you spare $10 a month to support your community? Many nonprofits offer the option to set up an automatic monthly donation. Small amounts donated each month make a big impact! Start a monthly gift to United Way of Southeast Louisiana here.
A new year brings hope for brighter days. Help create a better tomorrow by resolving to help your community in 2021. United, we can ensure everyone has an equitable opportunity to thrive.