New Orleans is assisting Hurricane Laura evacuees with essential resources. Our Southwest LA neighbors helped us after Katrina, so let's help pay it forward!
Volunteer roles include: Donation intake and sorting, tracking inventory, managing and stocking donation tables and helping greet and assist evacuees coming through the line. Expect to serve 500+ evacuees each day on average.
The more volunteers we have, the quicker we can support our friends in their journey to get their needs met and back on their feet. Volunteer shifts are daily in morning/afternoon shifts, please scroll down to view and register today!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering to support the SWLA evacuees staying here in New Orleans, we appreciate you!
Parking and entry:
- Face masks are required for entry.
- Enter the Convention Center through the main the Julia Street entrance (by the Riverwalk Mall).
- You can park either in Lot F at 400 Calliope (for free; longer walk to the right entrance) or you can find parking on the street nearer to the Julia St building entrance.
- Use the main entrance side door to get security's attention. Let him/her know you are a volunteer going to Hall B, and they will get you past the public line.
- National Guard will take your temperature and provide a required wristband.
- Follow the signs to Hall B.
- In Hall B, walk to the back left-hand side for the Volunteer Sign In table for orientation (mandatory for all new volunteers, repeat volunteers need only check-in and begin to staff a donation station.
- Volunteers are supplied with respiratory masks that must be worn at all times.
- Closed-toed shoes are required.
- Volunteers may need to stand for long periods of time or lift heavy objects.
- Bring a water bottle and snack if desired.
- A separate break area is available for volunteers in the rear.
Donations from organizations, agencies, and individuals are now being accepted. Is your agency accepting or need donations? See below for more information.
WAREHOUSE accepts: books, cleaning supplies, clothing, electronics, first aid, furniture, hygiene/personal care supplies and kits, infant/toddler items, kitchen supplies, linens, muck & gut supplies, PPE, school/office supplies, tools, and toys. Donate food directly to nearest Second Harvest Food Bank or Rouse’s.
CONVENTION CENTER priority items as of 9/15/20 accepted by invitation only:
Babies: diapers, formula, bottles, wipes, strollers, pacifiers, carriers
Clothing: brand new underwear and socks for all ages, teen clothing, L-XL men and women’s tops and bottoms
Shoes: brand new flip flops and sneakers for all sizes
Elderly: canes and walkers
Hygiene: deodorant, razors, feminine hygiene products, pre-made hygiene kits
General cleaning solution, antibacterial wipes
Coloring books and activity kits
If your business or organization has collected donations, please complete the United Way Hurricane Donation Form. Once submitted, use the link in the form to reserve a date/time slot to drop-off goods at United Way. Note: this option provides more flexibility than the public donation hours. The United Way HandsOn Entergy Volunteer Center will transport your donated items to the Multi-Agency Warehouse for distribution to affected areas. See what the warehouse accepts in the "Accepted Donations" section above. CLOTHING ACCEPTED.
Public donations are accepted every Tuesday and Wednesday from 8 a.m.-11 a.m. in the back parking lot of the United Way building at 2522 Iberville St. The United Way HandsOn Entergy Volunteer Center will transport items to the Multi-Agency Warehouse for distribution to affected areas. See what the warehouse accepts in the "Accepted Donations" section above. CLOTHING ACCEPTED.
LOCAL delivery to Convention Center (by invite only)
If your national agency or organization has collected donations, please complete the Hurricane Donation Form. Once submitted, use the link in the form to reserve a date/time slot to drop-off goods at the Multi-Agency Warehouse in Ponchatoula, LA. The warehouse is open Tuesday-Saturday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. through at least October 9, 2020.
Is your local agency or organization accepting donations from the public? Please register here! You have 100% control over dates and times for hours of operation. The United Way HandsOn Entergy Volunteer Center, NOHSEP, and GOHSEP want to help amplify your efforts through our media channels. Help residents find a convenient, safe neighborhood donation drop off site today! You can deliver your donations to United Way, and we will transport to the warehouse.
Agencies in the impacted area can order relief supplies by completing the Donation Request Form. Order the number of pallets you need. All orders come with water and PPE. A general supply pallet may contain books, cleaning supplies, clothing if requested, first aid, hygiene/personal care supplies, infant/toddler supplies, and tool supplies. Other items available on form. Pallet items and quantities will vary based on current inventory.
This service is NOT open to the public. Agencies requesting donation pallets may be faith-based, non-profit, corporate, etc. and must be prepared to distribute directly to local residents in their area. The warehouse will deliver supplies to your agency.