The United Way Hands On Entergy Volunteer Center is seeking volunteers for opportunities related to COVID-19, including phone call check-ins, meal packagers, and meal runners to vulnerable residents. Safety is our top priority, and necessary precautions will be taken to protect volunteers completing in-person duties.
Eligibility requirements will vary. Click here to view volunteer requirements.
When you respond to a need, you will be contacted with further information and next steps from each partner agency. To view the COVID-19 volunteer needs, click on an icon below.
Safety Guidelines for Volunteers and Organizations During COVID-19 Outbreak in Louisiana
During this National Emergency, we understand that those who are not suffering from the virus or who have fully recovered, may want to help.
However, all volunteer activities should adhere to critical health and safety protocols in order to:
- Protect Volunteers
- Protect Residents
- Protect Clients
- Protect Service Agencies
Required Guidelines for Volunteers:
DO NOT attempt to volunteer if you have:
- Have experienced symptoms that could be related to COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- Been around anyone who has COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- Traveled to any foreign country in the last 14 days
- Been on a cruise or been in an airport in the last 14 days
- Been to an event where more than 50 people were in attendance in the last 14 days
DO NOT show up to volunteer for any activity without confirming that there is a need for the activity, that it will be conducted, and that volunteer support is needed and expected.
DO NOT consider volunteering if you live with or are in frequent contact with people in the higher-risk categories for the virus.
DO ask about any risk that may be associated with the task and DO NOT take part if you are uncomfortable with the level of risk.
DO practice universal infection control precautions.
- Clean and wash your hands before, during, and after volunteering for a minimum of 20 seconds.
- Avoid physical contact with others and maintain a social distance of 6
- Cover your cough and sneezes with your elbow or
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed
DO call ahead to the service agency and ask if any additional safety precautions should be taken before, during and after the shift.
DO allow for extra time for additional screening from volunteer organizations or agencies to make sure you are cleared to volunteer for the task.
DO clean any used spaces thoroughly before and after, including table top surfaces and door knobs/handles
DO use proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) if needed/provided for the task.
DO maintain the social distancing of 6ft apart ESPECIALLY when interacting with general public through meal pickups and deliveries. This is critical given the shortage of masks.
DO expect that shifts or opportunities may be cancelled; especially volunteer opportunities working with the vulnerable populations. Please be gracious and understanding.
DO register your capabilities and availability or find volunteer opportunities that may be available in your area.
DO check NOLA Ready frequently for all developing information and resources related to COVID-19 in New Orleans at https://ready.nola.gov/incident/coronavirus/