VITA Offers Free Person To Person Tax Help
Did you earn less than $56,000 last year? Our VITA program offers free tax help to individuals, families, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. Please contact your local VITA office for more information.
Earned more than $56,000? You may qualify to file your taxes online. Click here for more information.
Where To Go
Call 211 [or 800-273-TALK (8255)] to find a location.
What to Bring
Please be sure to have the following information with you when you visit one of our VITA sites:
- Photo ID
- Copy of Last Year’s Tax Return (if available)
- Spouse (if married and filing a joint tax return, your spouse must be present)
- Social Security Cards (for you, your spouse, & dependents)
- Birth Dates (for you, your spouse & dependents)
- Wage & Earning Forms (all W-2 and 1099 Forms)
- Interest & Dividend Forms (1099 Forms)
- Total Paid for Day Care (provider’s name and tax ID, if applicable)
- Bank Routing & Account Numbers (for direct deposit of refund; voided check or bank statement will suffice)
- Proof of Foreign Status (if applying for ITIN)
- Form 1095A from the Marketplace
People in great need often file early - and at great expense - through commercial tax preparation services that charge large fees. We want to spread the word that FREE tax help is available. By filing returns at local VITA sites people receive 100% of their refund. IRS-trained volunteers can help you find special tax credits.
IRS-certified volunteers who provide tax counseling are often retired individuals associated with non-profit organizations that receive grants from the IRS. Taxpayers who come to free tax preparation sites can find out about programs that will help them leverage their refunds toward the financial success of their families. These asset-building programs provide financial education, homebuyer's education, down payment assistance and low interest car loans.
If you qualify for free tax help, you may also qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit.
Qualify for Free Tax Help?
YOU MAY QUALIFY FOR THE EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT.
EITC, the Earned Income Tax Credit, sometimes called EIC or Earned Income Credit is a refundable tax credit. EITC can reduce the federal tax to zero and any unused credit is refunded.
EITC provides a boost to workers, their families and the communities where they live. It helps with food, gas, clothing, saving for a rainy day and more.
To qualify, workers must have taxable income from working for someone or from running a business or farm. Four out of five eligible workers already benefit from the EITC. Yet some people who qualify don't know it exists, or how to claim it.
United Way has partnered with H&R Block to offer their premium online tax prep service, for free, to households of any income level who are filing simple returns (no schedule C, D, or E). Click here to get started.
Why use MyFreeTaxes.com?
- Households of any income level can file their simple returns for free
- It’s H&R Block’s Premium tax prep product, 100% accuracy guaranteed
- Free federal and state filing (up to 3 states) are included
- More forms are included than with any other free product
- You can file easily either on desktop or mobile
- Life is short, and you shouldn’t have to pay to file your taxes