Raise your voice for policies that build equity and fight poverty.
Every person in our community has the power to create change by raising their voice. And when we unite our voices to advocate for policies and programs that address poverty and stabilize ALICE (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed) households, we can create a more equitable society for everyone.
Louisiana’s 2023 Regular Legislative Session is underway, and United Way of Southeast Louisiana’s Public Policy team is working to advance the priorities in our 2023 State Legislative Agenda, “United for a Safe & Prosperous Community.” This agenda was developed with input from community members, nonprofit service providers, and subject matter experts, and includes the following areas.
- Education: Quality education is the pathway to prosperity for young people. UWSELA’s education policy priorities include increased investment at all levels of education, protecting the rights and well-being of students, and investment in educational professionals to enhance student achievement.
- Financial Stability: We’re advocating for evidence-based programs and policies that support economic stability and financial empowerment for all, including workforce development, pay transparency, emergency assistance, and a living wage.
- Health: All Louisianans deserve access to equitable health services that protect and improve mental and physical well-being. This year, UWSELA is championing trauma-informed care, mental health services, paid family leave, Medicaid, maternal child health, services for sexual assault survivors, and human trafficking prevention.
- Community Strengthening: Our community strengthening policy efforts focus on increasing equity and eliminating barriers to opportunity for vulnerable households. This includes access to affordable housing, protection from insurance exploitation, and prevention of discriminatory and exclusionary practices.
- Domestic Violence: UWSELA has led the charge for many years to enact policies that protect and support survivors of domestic violence and will continue this work this session.
- Youth Development: Young people need comprehensive and holistic supports to pursue bright futures. Our legislative agenda includes promoting high-quality extracurricular, cultural, and recreational services, leadership support programming, and safe neighborhoods.
Your legislators want to hear from YOU! Whether it's calling or emailing elected officials, attending community meetings, or using social media to share your message, every action you take makes a difference.
Bills move quickly during the legislative session. Here are two ways to stay connected:
- Sign up for UWSELA’s Action Alerts: Our Public Policy team sends out emails when key pieces of legislation are up for consideration and provides simple ways for you to take action. Sign up here.
- Download the LaLege App: A new app from the Louisiana State Legislature makes it easy to access information on committee meetings, view live video of proceedings, and more. Download the LaLege app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
Thank you for raising your voice for struggling families. I look forward to advocating alongside you.
Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer
United Way of Southeast Louisiana