Free Tax Preparation for Low Income Households

For the many families living paycheck to paycheck, understanding what programs and tax credits are available during tax season is critical in obtaining a full tax refund – something that goes a long way in a family’s annual budget.

Through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, United Way of Southeast Louisiana, Entergy, the City of New Orleans, 2-1-1 and Asset Building Coalition (ABC) are working together to improve financial stability across our region. An IRS-supported tax preparation service through which trained volunteers prepare taxes at no cost for qualifying individuals and families, VITA increases awareness of and access to common tax credits – directly increasing taxpayers’ returns – and also saves clients hundreds of dollars in tax preparation fees. During the 2016 tax season, VITA volunteers served over 10,000 people across the region, which returned more than $14 million to local communities.

Do I qualify for VITA?

VITA is a program that offers no cost tax filing services to working individuals and families with household income of $54,000 or less.

Where can I go to get my taxes done?

There are multiple sites in Jefferson, Lafourche. Orleans, St. Bernard, St. John, St. Tammany, Washington, St. John, and Tangipahoa Parishes.  Our interactive map gives detailed information on site locations, hours and availability.

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

It’s as easy as 1-2-3!  Use this list to help you get organized to either file your taxes online or in person. If you’re getting free help filing your taxes in person, make sure you bring photo identification for all adults in your household.

  • Photo ID

  • Copy of Last Year’s Tax Return (if available)

  • Spouse (if married and filing a joint tax return, your spouse must be present)

  • Social Security Cards (for you, your spouse & dependents)

  • Birth Dates (for you, your spouse & dependents)

  • Wage & Earning Forms (all W-2 and 1099 Forms)

  • Interest & Dividend Forms (Forms 1099)

  • Total Paid for Day Care (provider’s name and tax ID, if applicable)

  • Bank Routing & Account Numbers (for direct deposit of refund; voided check or bank statement will suffice)

  • Proof of foreign status (if applying for ITIN)

  • Form 1095A from the Marketplace

Can I file on my own?

Yes, the MyFreeTaxes Partnership provides free state and federal tax preparation and filing assistance for qualified individuals who earned $64,000 or less in 2016. It’s easy, safe, secure and 100% free. is an interactive resource for information regarding tax preparation, valuable credits including the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit, and personal finance, as well as access to free, in-person tax preparation sites. It is made possible through the collaboration of 1,000 partners, including the IRS, colleges and universities, nonprofit organizations, and state and local government agencies.

Sponsored by H&R Block and powered by United Way — the MyFreeTaxes Partnership's online filing services have helped millions of families claim nearly $8 billion in tax credits and refunds since 2009. Tax filing software is provided through and by H&R Block.