Tax season is here.
Before the panic sets in, we have good news – United Way can help you file your taxes for free, with assistance from an IRS-trained volunteer.
Feeling a bit better?
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free in-person tax preparation to qualified individuals who generally make $56,000 or less including persons with disabilities, the elderly, and limited English speaking taxpayers. If you made over $56,000 last year, United Way’s MyFreeTaxes.com offers free online tax preparation for ALL households filing simple returns.
Follow the steps below to get your refund ASAP and make tax season dread a thing of the past.
- Find a VITA site near you by calling 211 or visiting UnitedWaySELA.org/VITA.
- Check to see if the site you selected accepts or requires appointments and schedule yours.
- Collect your documents. Find a full list of what to bring here.
- Visit your VITA site. An expert volunteer will help you file electronically, see if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit or other special credits, and share information on programs that can help you leverage your refund toward your financial goals.
- Get your FULL refund, without the added cost of expensive paid preparers or risky refund anticipation loans.
United Way is proud to offer the VITA program as part of our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in our community. We know that people in need often file early through commercial tax preparation services that charge hefty fees and interest. Free tax preparation helps more households get their FULL refunds back in their pockets where it’s needed most. Learn more about United Way SELA’s financial stability programs here.