United Way reopens Disaster Relief Fund, continues supply drive for Delta and Laura victims
NEW ORLEANS 10/08/2020 - United Way of Southeast Louisiana (UWSELA) Thursday announced the reopening of its Disaster Relief Fund to support recovery and ongoing rebuilding efforts related to hurricanes Delta and Laura.
“Over half of households in the affected region were already struggling to afford basic needs before the storms and COVID-19,” said Michael Williamson, UWSELA President and CEO. “Now those households and so many more are facing the reality of recovering from two major storms in one season with limited resources. United Way and our supporters will do whatever we can so they don’t have to go through rebuilding alone.”
The public can contribute at UnitedWaySELA.org/DisasterRelief. All proceeds will fund immediate relief efforts already underway and long-term rebuilding and community grants to partner organizations providing direct services to assist with recovery.
Mail-in donations should be addressed to:
United Way of Southeast Louisiana
Attn: Disaster Relief Fund
PO Box 791790
New Orleans, LA 70179-1790
UWSELA also urgently needs public donations of cleaning supplies and household goods to support households impacted by the storms.
Requested supplies include:
- General cleaning solution, antibacterial wipes
- Clothing: ONLY NEW, UNOPENED underwear and socks for all ages, teen clothing, L-XL men and women’s tops and bottoms
- Shoes: brand new flip flops and sneakers for all sizes
- Elderly: canes and walkers
- Hygiene: deodorant, razors, feminine hygiene products, pre-made hygiene kits
- Coloring books and activity kits (no school supplies needed)
Drop-offs will be accepted at the following locations:
- United Way of Southeast Louisiana | 2515 Canal St, New Orleans | Tuesday through Thursday | 8:00 – 11:00 a.m.
- Fuller Center for Housing | 955 S. Morrison Blvd, Hammond | Tuesday through Saturday | 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Northshore Catholic Center – Catholic Charities | 4465 Hwy 190 E. Service Rd, Covington | Tuesday through Thursday | 9:00 a.m. – noon
- Aldersgate United Methodist Church administrative offices | 360 Robert Blvd, Slidell | Tuesday through Thursday | 9:00 a.m. – noon
Learn more about UWSELA’s disaster response needs at UnitedWaySELA.org/Volunteer.
About United Way of Southeast Louisiana
For 95 years, United Way of Southeast Louisiana (UWSELA) has been a leader and trusted partner in improving lives and making a lasting difference. We fight to eradicate poverty by preparing people for quality jobs, growing incomes, and affording better health and education opportunities throughout Jefferson, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, and Washington parishes. We have a bold vision of equitable communities where all individuals are healthy, educated, and financially stable – and we have a plan. United Way of Southeast Louisiana’s Blueprint for Prosperity guides all strategic investments in programs, initiatives, collaborations, volunteerism, and advocacy aimed at tackling poverty. For more information, please visit UnitedWaySELA.org. Find us on social: @UnitedWaySELA.