United Way is Good for Business
The idea that profitable businesses would also work to help make their communities better places was once thought to be progressive thinking. However, the emerging focus on sustainability, or ESG, comes with an expectation that companies work to deliver positive outcomes for all of their stakeholders including customers, employees, owners, and of course, the communities they serve. A 2018 report found that 86% of consumers believe companies should take a stand for social issues, and I expect this number is even greater today.
Simply put, values matter. When your business commits to making a positive social impact, you:
- Strengthen your reputation as a leader;
- Increase employee engagement by offering opportunities for staff to support causes they care about; and
- Help create a thriving community.
If you’re ready to step up and create change, United Way is here to guide you.
United Way of Southeast Louisiana is on a mission to eradicate poverty and create equitable communities with health, education, and financial stability for all. Hundreds of local workplaces – big and small – run United Way employee giving campaigns because they want to help create a better, stronger community for all of us.
The best part? Running a United Way employee giving campaign is easy. Our team provides communication materials, straightforward pledging and payroll deduction, meaningful engagement opportunities, and personal support. Your campaign can be as involved or as simple as necessary; we encourage workplaces to do what’s right for their company culture.
COVID-friendly Campaign Options to Meet Your Workplace Needs
Each workplace has adapted differently to COVID-19 precautions. Whether your business is operating in-person, remotely, or a mix, United Way offers giving campaign options that will fit your needs.
- Virtual: United Way makes going virtual a breeze. We can create a custom online giving webpage that showcases your company’s community impact and branding. In addition to seamless online pledging, we offer virtual informational presentations and volunteer opportunities to engage employees.
- Traditional: A United Way staff member can deliver campaign materials (brochures, posters, stand-up displays) directly to your workplace, following shared safety precautions, and present to employees the impact of their donations. We can also coordinate safe, socially-distant volunteer events to get your team flexing their service muscles.
- Hybrid: Like options from both? United Way can combine virtual and traditional campaign options to create the best experience for your employees.
We win when we LIVE UNITED. It takes all of us – businesses, nonprofits, government, donors, advocates, and volunteers – working together to create equitable opportunities and pathways to prosperity for those living in poverty and ALICE. I urge you to join the fight. Our future depends on it.
If you are interested in running a workplace giving campaign, please contact Melody Reed, Senior Director of Resource Development, at email@example.com.
Marcus V. Brown
Executive Vice President and General Counsel, Entergy Corporation
2020-2021 Campaign Cabinet Chair, United Way of Southeast Louisiana