Do your part on National Voter Registration Day
As a kid and major comic book fan, I always imagined what it would be like to have superpowers. Superhuman speed, strength, and knowledge; I'd settle for even one of the attributes of my favorite hero, Black Panther. But alas, it was not meant to be.
It wasn't until the passing of Chadwick Boseman – the cinematic, and some would argue real-life Black Panther – that I realized I've possessed a tremendous power for some time now.
In his final tweet to the world, Chadwick made a call to action, a call to participate in our country's democratic process by exercising our right to vote. He played a superhero on the big screen but recognized his real power rested in his ability to shape our democracy with his voice and his vote.
Thanks to Chadwick, I realized Americans all gain a real superpower in life, our right to vote. We have to exercise that right to protect the country and communities we love.
United Way of Southeast Louisiana takes actions and provides resources to support strong, healthy, and equitable communities. Strong communities are only created when every person is taken care of and has a voice. That's why United Way is calling on all people in our communities to register to vote on National Voter Registration Day.
How can you harness your power to make our community stronger today?
Every election helps determine the distribution of critical resources and political representation at the local, state, and federal levels. The upcoming election is no different. Voting is not only your responsibility, but it's also your opportunity to show up for yourself, your family, your future, and your community. Get registered, make a plan to vote, share it with the people in your life, and follow through!
The 2020 census is a count of every person in every community. But it's more than just knowing how many people live in each city. The census helps determine the share of political power and federal funding across different communities. Participating in the census is in everyone's best interest because it helps community leaders and elected officials plan for school class sizes, health facilities, public transit, and the placement of grocery stores. Respond by September 30, 2020.
We believe everyone should have the opportunity to thrive. To make that happen, we invest resources into Southeast Louisiana to:
- Give people the education and tools to get better jobs and build a solid foundation that improves their lives and the lives of their children
- Connect youth with the education and support they need for good-paying jobs and lifelong careers
- Help children get a strong start in life, start school ready to succeed, and build critical reading skills to equip them for success in school, work, and life
- Increase access to health care, as well as healthy foods, activities, and environments, so individuals and families can have healthier beginnings and healthier lives
- To do more, we need your help. Generous donors like you can help make sure that everyone gets the support they need. Please consider giving today.
On this National Voter Registration Day, remember your power is in your vote. Make sure yours is counted in the next election.
President and CEO
United Way of Southeast Louisiana